Wednesday, January 17, 2018

17/01/2018 More photos from our return drive from the UK 29 December.

Today's maximum  9C, minimum  5C.  14 mm rain measured.  Total rain this month so far 116 mm; it just keeps raining!!  Wind speed 20 km/h with 43 km/h gusts NW wind.

With the continuing wet weather and still not feeling 100%, I am sorry not to have picked up my camera this year, other than for one single sunset.  I will be taking time out at this rate, until spring decides to arrive.  These are all past photos as stated above.

After our walk around Arras (see previous post), we headed for our next destination of Auxerre.  When we planned this return trip home, we had not taken into account that we would both not be feeling well, and that the weather would be so wet!  We had expected cold, but not damp as well.
Our route from Arras to Auxerre.  I have written about Reims and Troyes in past posts


I was surprised how many wind turbines there were to be seen in this area; as most of you know, they are my pet hate!


We went through some pretty horrible weather!


I saw this church in the distance while driving by Villeneuve-au-Chemin.  I was interested, when I looked it up, to discover that placed on the top of the spire is a 7 metre high statue of the Virgin, which you can just see in this photo.  The church is named Saint Joseph Chapel of the Angels and was built in 1864-1891 by Father Carbot; he was Abbot of the town at the time.  It used to be a stop over for pilgrims.


We arrived too early to book into our hotel, so took a short walk around Auxerre.  Some of the beautiful old houses of the town...


As above. There were few people around, due to the weather!


As above.


We were the surprised to find this small square of old houses, complete with a British red telephone box ....


All was explained in this sign!  Auxerre is twinned with Redditch, a town in Worcestershire in the UK.  Presumably the phone box was a gift.


More old houses close to the abbey.


The Abbey of Saint Germain which was founded by Queen Clotilde in the 5th century.  It was closed while we were there, but they do have guided tours.


The bell tower in the front of the abbey.  In 1811, the Romanesque bays that connected the bell tower to the choir were destroyed, so the spire is now isolated.


The old military hospital.

A few more photos were taken the next morning as we were leaving which will follow in another post.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like the kind of fascinating old town that even the most disinterested visitor would enjoy walking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David it was sad that the weather was so bad and we were both feeling unwell. I would love to return to Auxerre in better weather and see it properly. Hope you are well Diane

      Delete
  2. The old houses and lanes are spectacular! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty spectacular town and I would love to see it properly in better weather. Hope all is well with you Diane

      Delete
  3. I too will be shivering if we get temperature as low as 5 C. The lowest we experience was 21 C and I have to wear extra clothing to keep warm. I like the beautiful old houses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy I really do hate winter and the cold, I will never get used to winter! It was a beautiful town. Keep warm :-) Diane

      Delete
  4. So love seeing the old houses; beautiful!

    Get to feeling better, Diane; you and Nigel. Thinking of you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sally the old places are stunning and well maintained. It is good that they are well looked after.

      We are both on the mend but feeling thoroughly lethargic with this rubbish weather. Thanks for the thoughts. Diane

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see these shots Diane but so sorry to hear that you're still not 100%. You really have to keep warm and look after yourself. Hopefully the weather will start to warm up a little soon. Take care ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel has not let me out of the house for fear of getting cold or wet so I am being well looked after. I am feeling much better, but the cough is the problem and will not go away. It is better but irritating still.

      I will get there I hope very soon!!. Hope all is well there Diane

      Delete
  6. Fabulous buildings! I always enjoy your perspective! So sorry you are still a bit under the weather! Send the rain our way! We are so very dry!!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old towns are always very impressive in France and to think some of the buildings have been there for what seems like forever. Wish I could send the rain your way we are really fed up with it now!! Take care Diane

      Delete
  7. The old buildings are beautiful. Sorry to hear that you are still not 100%. Take care, keep warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful town. So much history surrounding the whole place. Diane it is mainly the cough that is now getting me down and the horrible weather we are having, grey and wet does nothing to make one feel better. Hope you are well. T'other Diane

      Delete
  8. Hi Diane. I hope you are recovering. I feel much better. Your photos are beautiful as usual. I love the medievalness of the buildings and paved streets. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kim glad to hear that you are on the mend, just take it easy. It is a beautiful old town, just sorry that we were not feeling well enough to take it all in and the weather was also not ideal!! Keep dry, Diane

      Delete
  9. Great photos. I love the architecture of the old buildings.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amalia they are very special buildings and all lovingly restored. Long may they survive. Take care Diane

      Delete
  10. Although I'm not fond of the cold, I can handle given appropriate clothing. It's the damp that I just don't like. I hate feeling wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is cold and there is cold. Personally I do not like any cold but when there is a biting chilly wind no clothes that we have easily available will keep me warm. When it is damp as well.......... Enjoy your weather cheers Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!