Thursday, February 29, 2024

29/02/2024 Just a few more photos but so many still to go through!!

The maximum temperature here today at Swakopmund, is 20⁰C, minimum 15⁰C. West-South-West winds of 14 km/h. Very pleasant, especially as we experienced some days on safari up to 42C!!

Namaqua sandgrouse (Pterocles namaqua) male.

Kalahari giraffe.

White Rhinos.

Red Hartebeest (Alcelaphus buselaphus caama),

Vultures mostly Lappet-Faced Vultures (Torgos tracheliotos).

Springbok (Antidorcas marsupials).

Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) Kalahari.

The sand dunes after a very bad sand storm.  There will be no trains running here for a while!!

Kalahari sunset with rain in the distance.

The wild horses of Namibia.

As above.

Dune number 40 as it is 40 km from the main gate.

Big Daddy is the tallest dune in the Sossusvlei area.  This magnificent dune is situated between Sossusvlei and Deadvlei and at 325 meters it dwarfs the other dunes.

Our amazing driver Obi and Nigel.  Obi was not only a great driver, but he had eagle eyes and there were very few questions on any subject that he was unable to answer.

Oryx or Gemsbok ( Oryx gazella).

Sunrise over the desert.

Any mistakes in the post please forgive me.  It has taken many hours to get this far and I have had to redo in many places.  Each photo has taken me ages to download, and I should have given up long ago, but I do not like being beaten by anything let alone an extremely slow WiFi.

My next blog will only be when I return home in April.

16 comments:

  1. A wonderful set of photos, Diane. I'm so pleased that all went well after your very shaky start to the holiday. I had not realised that a Springbok was such a pretty creature. The shot of the railway line brought a big grin to my face - that sand is going to take some shifting, and there will be far more to remove than there would be if it was solid ground that they could make a cutting through.

    I'm still waiting - will probably send you an update tomorrow.

    Best wishes to you both. Have a wonderful rest of your holiday - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a grader near the railway line but nothing much happening!! I guess they will eventually clear it, I presume this is a normal hazard, it must happen on a fairly regular basis!!

      I hope that you have some good news for me later today, Take care, thinking of you both, Diane

      Delete
  2. Amazing photos! Enjoy the remainder of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. I wish I could do some more blogs, but yesterday I realised that it is next to impossible to work with photos on a very slow wifi.
      Cheers Diane

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Angie and so good to see them living the life they should live and not in captivity. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  4. I admire your determination Diane and much appreciate your post considering the difficulties. These photos are absolutely brilliant! Seeing all the sand on the train track really puts it all into perspective. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, it was determination as I have no patience! I have some fabulous photos but they are going to have to wait. When we get home I suspect there will be masses to do there, so the next blog might take a while but I will try to get some photos ready while here. Cheers Diane.

      Delete
  5. You always have the most epic adventures! The train track shot is really really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pam, not sure how much longer we are able to travel so we are doing what we can while we can. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  6. Your photos are so lovely. I always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody for the visit and the kind comment, much appreciated Keep well Diane

      Delete
  7. To see those animals in the wild would be amazing. Recently went to a safari here in town where the animals are fenced in a large area but running wild among the cars. We were able to bond with a giraffe. He took right up with DJ and his friend. He kept bowing down to have between the horny things scratched. The boys were doing it, so when we walked away to the other side and he followed the boys. It was so neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Presumably Pam it had been hand reared to be that tame, Having said that it is still a wild animal and if it should kick you you would know all about it, or maybe you wouldn't if it connected with ones head! Any wild animal can be unpredictable despite how it is brought up. Take care, Diane

      Delete
  8. Well done for persevering with the wifi. The photos are amazing and to be up close to these beautiful animals must have been exhilarating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, this is why I love Africa as much. It has taken me though a long time though to find Namibia which may well be my favourite place. I hope all is well over there, take care, t'other Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!