Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Part 2 of yesterday's drive to Villebois Lavelette

Maximum temperature today 18C, minimum 9C.   Some rain not measured yet; 12 km/h North Westerly winds with up to 33 km/h gusts.
Having parked the car we walked up through the town past this gorgeous lilac bush...

as above.

An old drinking point.

Remember at Easter I told you about these biscuits (Les cornuelles), here you see them draped across the road as part of the street decoration.

The restored covered marketplace (les Halles) in the centre of the small town. It was built in 1665, paid for by the French nobleman who owned the château on the hill above. The town mayor decided to erect the stone columns in 1855 to replace the original oak ones, when the principal road through the town was widened (it's still not very wide!).

Inside the market.

The restored drinking fountain in the market square. next to the well, and can you see part of the sundial on the wall in the background.

The drinking fountain.

A close up of the sundial.

Looking up the street to the church of Saint Romain dating from the dating from the XIIIth century...

A little closer.  For those who have asked me to take photos inside the churches, take a look at an old blog of mine HERE when I took some of the inside of this church.


I still have a few more photos of the town and the drive home.  We will be out all day tomorrow, but I will post the remaining photos, and tell you the reason for the visit when I get back to the computer.  The town is very quiet as it is not market day, and the tourist season has not yet begun.  No room to move during the season!!


N.B. My new bird blog is HERE 
Part 6 of the birds I saw last year in Africa.

20 comments:

  1. The widened road is tiny. The previous one must have been a path. I love these visits to old towns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many narrow roads in France...... We are used to them. Glad you enjoyed the trip, Diane

      Delete
  2. Enjoy the rest of your trip. The pictures are so interesting. I have never seen a sundial on a building as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that it is the only town I have seen a sundail on a wall. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  3. That town looks like a textbook example of antiquity. It certainly is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very old with masses of history. Wonderful to see at this time of the year but horrendous in the tourist season. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  4. So many picturesque fountains. We hardly see them here any more. Lilacs are my favorite flower. That bush is magnificent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the old towns here still have a drinking fountain, not alwasy in working order though!! I also love lilac. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  5. I love the lilacs! I can almost smell the fragrance. It looks like you had a lovely out. I went for a walk today. It was very warm. Too warm for me as I was pulling a shopping bag on wheels and it was full. But such a glorious day. It will cool a bit now. Enjoy your weekend Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny I also love lilac, one of the joys of spring. It is really cooling down here again and looks like it will last for another week!! Take care Diane

      Delete
  6. The smaller towns seem to keep their ancient buildings more than the big cities. Same here. Lovely church and quaint little roads. Market Day would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. France is very good about restoring and upkeep of their old buildings. Also, the cities are good as well. Paris has many restored old buildings. The quaint roads are great until you meet up with a tractor which is what we seem to do every time we go out!! Hope all is well t'other Diane

      Delete
  7. Oh, it's a lilac bush! I was wondering. A similar colour to lavender but much much taller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilac is almost a small tree where as lavender is a small flowering plant. Both have thier own unique, beautiful perfume. Cheers Dianne

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love lilacs, grew up with their magical smell. Ours are few and fading fast due to drought. Better to visit a beautiful town like this before the tourist season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate tourist season, that is the time to stay at home. This little town was so peaceful the other day whereas last time we visited it was overrun with people! Hope you are manaing OK. Take care Diane

      Delete
  9. The lilac bush is magnificent, the perfume must have been wonderful. I must find out if they grow well here, might get too hot. Always enjoy visiting these lovely French towns with you Diane ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace there are several varieties of lilac and yes you can get them for warm climates. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  10. I love lilacs... that is a beautiful picture. I always love looking through pictures of the quaint towns you visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilac is gorgeous it is a pity it lasts for such a short time. Keep well Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!