Monday, July 9, 2018

09/07/2018 We are home but so much to do.

Maximum temperature today 29C, minimum 19C.   Dry; 11 km/h North Easterly winds with up to 31 km/h gusts.  32 mm of rain last week bringing our total this year to 680 mm.

Just to let you know we are back home but lots going on with the barn we are buying and I have over 700 photos to go through from the week away.  Lots of insects, few birds and a few wildflowers. Not forgetting some historic towns and old Roman ruins.

We were incredibly lucky while absent, as on 4 July massive storms hit the Charente were we live and the Dordogne where we were staying.  Basically, it sort of missed home and where we were, but just up the road from home, hailstones the size of tennis balls destroyed many cars and over 800 houses had their roofs smashed.  Families are being put up in clubhouses and sports centres, many people have lost so much. 
Take a look HERE to get some idea of what the storm was like.

A couple of the photos I took while away, I will try to go through the others sometime this week. I will also try to catch up with all of your blogs as well.

Marbled White Butterfly (Melanargia galathea)

Beautiful demoiselle damselfly (Calopteryx virgo).

Many thanks for all the comments on previous posts, David you do make me smile 😉

14 comments:

  1. That damselfly is such a beautiful colour! Hope the bad weather is over now. There is a hurricane headed this way later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about the terrible storms. I hope it won't take too long for things to get back to something like normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy to hear that you didn’t suffer from these fierce storms either while away or at home. Great pictures to start up again with....I am glad that you didn’t forget nature while you were away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! Good to hear you didn’t suffer any damage with those horrendous storms. Sorry for the people who did. Your butterfly and damselfly photos are super!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to know you're home safely, and no damage. That was truly horrific!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the damselfly. Wonderful that you were spared the wrath of the storm. Several years ago, a neighbor called about the weather. It was wonderful I told them. She asked about the tornado. I told her I could see storm clouds but there was no tornado. About 6 miles due west, there had been a devastating tornado. All that was left of a bank was it's vault. Nature does it's pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about storms and Thanks God you are ok!hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I saw and I know what about you are talking! hope you can be normal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Thank goodness you were away but sorry for the others who got caught in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant photos, Diane.
    Oh my God! I did not know about the storm. I happy you are OK, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gee Diane,
    You were lucky indeed. I was still away when it happened and people here told about these massive storms in your area and in Toulouse.
    My house was not touched either fortunately, but I fear these episodes will only get worse with the climate changes.
    YES!!! I have a few nice pics of the wild dogs, as I saw the pack get ready for an evening hunt and I had a thought for you :)
    Great photos of the Marbled white and the Calopteryx virgo, I hope you enjoyed your stay in Dordogne.
    Keep well, warm hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow you were so lucky, others not so much and so close to you! Reminds me of a storm we had a few years ago, so much damage. Don't rush Diane, sounds like you have lots on your plate right now ✨

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you were spared the storm and damages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear that your home was spared from the storm as well as where you were on holiday. Very sorry about all the damage to everyones property and crops that were severely damaged.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!