Saturday, May 23, 2020

23/05/2020 A few more of the insects seen around the garden and down the road.

Maximum temperature here today 19⁰C, minimum 11⁰C.  It has been raining since the early hours of this morning and it is still raining, so not measured as yet,  13km/h North-westerly wind with gusts up to 31 km/h. 

Hoverfly.

Bee in the sage.

I think this is a Glanville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia)...

As above...

As above.

Beetle (Silpha tristis)

Possibly (Melitaea cinxia) again.

Small heath (Coenonympha pamphilus).

Bee on the sage.

Hoverfly.

Species of shield bug (Graphosoma italicum) It is also known as the Striped bug (or Italian striped bug) and Minstrel bug.

Rosemary beetle (Chrysolina Americana).

Bumblebee again in the sage - It is a popular plant when in flower 😊

I think this is a Caddisfly (order Trichoptera).

Hoverfly.

Froghopper (Cercopis vulnerata).

Gendarme beetle or firebug (Pyrrhocoris apterus).

Varied carpet beetle (Anthrenus verbasci) - the largest one is barely 3mm in length. (0.12 of an inch).

As above.  Photos not easy without a macro lens!!

Longhorned beetle rescued from inside the house, it did not want to leave its rescued sheet of paper.



Our local list of wild flowers


See also my

16 comments:

  1. These are great pictures, Diane, and your familiarity with insects is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David I still struggle with ID, I only have one book that is very general and covers "all" insects, therefore only a few from each order!!
      Best wishes and keep well, Diane

      Delete
  2. You captured the essence of these insects, such as the colour and appendages. Excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, I do my best which is not always up to my expectations but..... Keep well, Diane

      Delete
  3. Hi Diane - it's great seeing your insect species ... always happy to be shown them. Love the Granville Fritillary ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary, I love the Fritillaries but if you do not see them with closed wings they are very difficult to identify.
      Keep well, cheers Diane

      Delete
  4. Wonderful macro photography, Diane, even if you don't have a macro lens. My favourites are the fritillary, the Rosemary Beetle, and the Varied Carpet Beetle.

    With my very best wishes to you both. Take great care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard, I have never seen the carpet beetles before; they took a bit of working out for ID, and because they are sooooo small I struggled to get good enough shots of them. Finally with the Nikon 3200. 24.2 effective MP. and a tripod I go these shots. The fritillaries are beautiful.

      I hope you are both well, and that you are taking it easy. Stay safe, Diane

      Delete
  5. Great photos of a gorgeous microlife! I love seeing your beautiful butterflies and bees, Diane. Have a great weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful macros Diane, lot's of busy bee and insect action going on in your garden, a good sign 🐝🐞🐜 Take care and rest up now and then 💙

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, your macros are superb. The Gendarme beetle's pattern looks like a mask.

    Sorry I'm so late getting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also struggling to keep up!! Yes they do look like masks. Hope all is well Diane

      Delete
  8. Oh I didn't realize sage had a flower that colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very pretty and the bees love it. Take care Diane.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!