Saturday, April 23, 2022

23/04/2022 A few local photos before I return to the third post on the Primates.

 The maximum temperature here today is 16⁰C, minimum 10⁰C. Rain most of the day, 90% forecast for today and 80% for tomorrow!   North-Westerly winds of 20km/h with gusts up to 43 km/h.

23 March we had a meeting in Angouleme where I spotted this new mural. I have tried to find out a bit of info which follows. 
 
The city of Angoulême pays tribute to the designer of Asterix, Albert Uderzo.  Alberto Aleandro Uderzo was a French comic book artist and scriptwriter. He is best known as the co-creator and illustrator of the Astérix series in collaboration with René Goscinny. Note he is sitting at his desk in the centre of the mural.
 
This mural is part of a series of tributes paid to the cartoonist, who died in March 2020. It will join the Goscinny obelisk, which was inaugurated at the 47th International Comics Festival in 2022.

March 31 - Back home in the field next to the house...

As above.

Moving into April, so far I have only added blogs of the Primates (which there are still more to come), but here are a few local photos.

April 1 and no April's Fool, we had snow then heavy frosts.  The cherry trees were in full blossom at the time, I do not think we will see any cherries this year - third year in a row!

April 3 - the commune had their free pensioners lunch.  Generally, this is an annual event, but due to COVID we have missed two years! This one more than made up for it 😊

The table was laid with red cloth and decorated with the flowers of prunus padus, ivy and little Easter eggs. See menu above.
 
The soup which I have not added a photo of was a vegetable soup.
Top left - the Assiette périgourdine was a delicious charcuterie.
The Trou Normand (also no photo) was a pear sorbet, with or without alcohol. Guess what I had ?
Second down on the left - Gigo d’agneau was lamb served with what we think was a potato/parsnip mash and a Tomato Provençale.
Third down on the left - three Cheeses with salad and of course 'pain'.
Right bottom - was the trio of desserts – all so delicious.
Top right – Moi.
Second down on the right- photo was taken from the top table down the length of the room.
A good time was had by all :-)))) 

Apple blossom - a few days after the frost.

Buttercup (Ranunculus acris).

Mexican orange blossom (Choisya ternata).

Wallflower (Erysimum cheiri).

Apple blossom and Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)...

As above...

As above

Common Wall Lizard (Podarcis muralis)...

As above.

Peonies (genus Paeonia).

Rapeseed (Brassica napus).

Common Lilac (Syringa vulgaris).

Mushrooms in the garden, I did not turn them over to see if they were the edible ones!

The moon over the barns on 16 April, the night before full moon...

Full moon 17 April.  It rose so much later and it was too dark to get any background.

My local list of wildflowers. (91 Species 02/12/2021).

See also my


30 comments:

  1. Love that mural. An artist has a crowded mind.

    The meal looks delicious. Such a long two years!

    It’s great seeing the blooms, insects and lizards again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge mural as you can see from the cars parked at the bottom, not an easy job! I am happy to see the insects back again thought we re having a horrible spell of weather again at present. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  2. Your photography, as always, is wonderful Diane, and the subject matter is delightful. The close-up of the lizard's head is superb. I can't imagine a free pensioner's lunch being that wonderful in UK. Come to think of it, I can't imagine a free pensioner's lunch in UK!

    Best wishes to you and Nigel - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. No, I cannot imagine the council arranging a local Pensioner's lunch in the UK either, we are very lucky. For the two years we missed, they gave us a goodie box with food in it. It is good to see the insects and smaller animals coming back, though we have a very wet spell again at the moment.

      Best wishes to you and the family, I hope Lindsay's knee is behaving! Cheers Diane

      Delete
  3. I think this idea of a free lunch for pensioners is a great idea that should be adopted universally, although I doubt that any would do it as well as the French. The meal you were served looks like it would not be out of place in a high end restaurant. I always enjoy seeing shots of the wall lizards and wish we had a lizard or two here. Will look forward to the next episode with the primates. Take good care, Diane. All the best, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right a free luncheon once a year for pensioners would go down well elsewhere I am sure, but the French would take a lot of beating.

      We just seem to be so busy at the moment that although I am taking photos I am not keeping up. I also took too many of the Primates so a lot of sorting to do!

      Best wishes to you and Miriam, Keep well, Diane

      Delete
  4. Always a pleasure to visit here and see all your quite beautiful photos. The mural is amazing, and those sheep are too cute for words. I'm glad the luncheon was a success and you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne, it always amazes me how they manage to do these huge murals and you can see by the size of the car parked below how big it is. The luncheon is always good and much appreciated every year.
      Keep safe, Diane

      Delete
  5. Hi Diane - gorgeous photos of your neighbourhood - the snow has been a little much. That lunch looks to have been absolutely delicious ... such fun to join in with. Peonies are one of my favourite plants and flowers ... while I love the lizard ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Hilary, the snow was a bit of a shock, I am so upset about the cherry trees yet again. The luncheon is always magic, they really spoil us. It is good to see flowers, small animals and bugs returning to the garden.
      I hope that all is well with you, take care. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  6. Hi Diane - crumbs ... I forgot the brilliant mural - my brother used to have hysterics reading Asterix ... I never quite got into them - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I never really understood Asterix either, I do though appreciate the work that went into the mural. Best wishes Diane

      Delete
  7. That’s an amazing mural and thank you for sharing its interesting history. The lambs are adorable and I love the snow scene with the blossoms, though that must have been a bit of a shock thinking snowy weather was just a memory. Getting together after all this time would have been very special and the food looked delicious! The flowers and their tiny visitors, and the lizard, wonderful photos, as was the mushroom and the stunning field of rapeseed. They call it Canola here. In fact, one of Gregg’s cousins has a whole field of it, and other fields of cows and buffalo :) A splendid finish to your post with such a beautiful moon. Thanks for sharing Diane and I wish you a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise the mural is amazing and sooooooo big. The snow was more than a shock, and sadly no cherries again this year. I am delighted to see the return of the flowers and small creatures. I think the moon shots were about the best I have taken to date. A few hints from a friend helped:-) Keep safe, best wishes Diane

      Delete
  8. How nice to know about the history of this fantastic mural. I've always liked Asterix and this really speaks to me. Thanks for sharing!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, Asterix was an interesting character. It is a pleasure to share. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  9. LOVE the mural and the tribute. Bummer about the cherries. Good thing those luncheons go on for hours to savor every bite. Glad flowers survived the frost. All your photos are great but your moon shots are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three years not with very few cherries and this year I think it will nil so far as I can see! Thanks for the kind comment on my moon shots. Cheers Diane.

      Delete
  10. Always love looking at your pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam I am always happy to see you visit. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  11. You really have a gift for photography – your photos are outstanding. I read your menu with envy – seniors in France are treated a lot better than they are in the US. My mother when still in Paris was able to attend the opera or shows free. They could also go on tours, like the Chateaux de la Loire and were always given a menu from the restaurants along the way. When she moved to the banlieue (Neuilly Plaisance) they took the seniors by bus at least 2 or 3 times a year to a show or a museum in Paris. For New Year they gave them a gift package of gourmet food with a bottle of wine.

    I was going to fly home this past March but was still afraid of Covid – it has been a long time and I miss France. Am thinking about going to France this year – but France outremer…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good to hear from you. Yes, the oldies here get treated well. There are also a couple of bus trips a year here that we could go on. We have done a few but I am not a very good passenger on a bus and of course, with COVID there have been none for the past couple of years. We got a big parcel of food at Christmas when they could not do the annual meal so we still did well out of it anyway. There is still quite a bit of COVID around so the Dr tells us but now most of us have had 4 vaccines, mostly there is not a great reaction. We have both stayed clear of it so far but I think in the end we will all get it!! I am extra careful as I have had pneumonia 3 times.
      Keep well and I hope you manage to get over here. later this year. Take are Diane

      Delete
  12. I love to see street art. It gives so much character and life to a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The street art in Angouleme is amazing and lots of it. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  13. Great that you could have your pensioners dinner again. Menu and food looks delicious. Lovely photos as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane, the pensioner's lunch is always top class. Keep safe, t'other Diane

      Delete
  14. So good to see you and your beautiful photos! I'm sorry to be so lax in blogging these past few months (mostly due to having the children and their mama here a lot now). I'm glad you all had a nice meal; they don't do much for seniors here not that I'd get off my duff to go. :)

    Take care!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, good to hear from you. I am having trouble keeping up with blogging at present. Just too busy at home with lots on. Keep well and stay safe Diane xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!