Monday, October 7, 2024

07/10/2024 Still trying to catch up from July/August!!

  The maximum temperature in the Charente today was 21⁰C, minimum 14⁰C.  10mm's of rain last night, but 90% rain is forecast for today. Southerly wind of 24km/h with gusts up to 53km/h.

Climbing Rose with the smallest cricket nymph....

a miniature rose...

and the beautifully perfumed Garden Rose.

Tomato flower.

Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta). I was fascinated by the facial expression !

In a friend's garden Peruvian Lily (Alstroemeria).

Eurasian jay (Garrulus glandarius).

Potatoes in flower - Prospère (Solanum tuberosum Stemster).  I have just dug them all out, we have slightly under 50 kg to last us stored well until next year.

Courgettes.

Wild Flower - Wood Avens (Geum urbanum).

European cyclamen (Cyclamen purpurascens).

Just a sunset at the end of July.

Crab Spider (Misumena vatia).

Speckled wood (Pararge aegeria) .

Crab Spider (Misumena vatia) they change colour to confuse their prey.

As above with lunch. This particular spider I followed for many days in the Black-eyed Susans,

Here it is again.

A bee drinking from the birdbath, Western honey bee or European honey bee (Apis mellifera).

It is still around....

European Paper Wasp (Polistes dominula).

An August sunset.

Juvenile Raft Spider (Dolomedes fimbriatus) Dinner is served.


As above.

Wildflower Common Nipplewort (Lapsana communis),

Cricket nymph and fly in hiding on the rose petals!

The Raft spider returns, hungry little fellow...

Two-course meal.

Western honey bees see above.

A somewhat bedraggled Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)...

As above.

10 comments:

  1. Love the blooms. The detail of the insects and spiders is incredible. Nature at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie, I do love taking photos of insects, I miss them when winter arrives, Keep well, Diane

      Delete
  2. So many stunning flower shots! The potatoes in flower is completely new to me...didn't know they look like that. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegetable flowers are usually different and pretty, these potatoes are a pretty colour as well, Thanks for the comment, Diane

      Delete
  3. Now here’s the thing about Eurasian Jay, Diane. I was told before making my first trip to Europe that it was very hard to find, but I never found it so. I saw it readily in England, Scotland, France, Slovenia and Croatia. We rented a house in France and it used to perch on the stone wall at the back of the garden. Maybe I exude jay pheromones! Your crab slider looks very similar to one of the species here. They are effective predators to be sure. As always your post is a panoply of delight. The other day I was rearranging my bookshelves and looked at a book on the Rutland Water Ospreys, which I bought when I visited there with Richard Pegler. It’s hard to believe he is no longer with us. Gros bisous de ton ami Canadien, David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Jay visits us quite often, or I presume it is the same one, on a couple of occasions I have seen 2 together but generally it is just one. It never ceases to amaze me how the little spiders manage to catch such big prey. Also the little web spiders what they can catch in their webs including spiders 10 times their own size.
      Yes, I am finding it difficult to come to terms with Richard, he had become a good friend and we were in constant contact on WhatsApp. If only his appointment that was 12 months earlier had not been cancelled and re-cancelled, the problem might have been found soon enough to treat.
      Take care, bisous mon ami, Diane

      Delete
  4. A fascinating day filled with nature! The variety of plants and insects you’ve encountered is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody for your kind comment, so appreciated. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  5. Another marvelous series Diane. The paper wasp’s shadow in the water was a splendid shadow shot but each photo draws me in. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I think that was the photo that was my favourite, the shadow was quite spectacular and different. I hope all is well. Cheers Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!