Tuesday, April 26, 2016
26/04/2016 Not a very nice day weather-wise so a few back photos of last weeks trip.
Maximum temperature 13C, minimum 4C. 36 km/h NW winds. 3mm of rain measured this morning.
19/04/2016 Conques. The Abbey church of St Foy. The original monastery was built in the 8th century, but the chapel was destroyed in the 11th century. The second phase of construction, which was completed by the end of that century, included the building of the five radiating chapels. The third phase was completed in the 12th century.
19/04/2016 Suzanne feeding a lamb. They are sheep farmers as well as running a superb B & B in Calmels-et-la-Viala.
One ewe had 4 lambs (!) and they are hand rearing the smallest one.
20/04/2016 Saint-Affrique. the old bridge (in the foreground) was built in 1270.
20/04/2016 The Millau Viaduct (le Viaduc de Millau) is a cable-stayed bridge that spans the valley of the River Tarn near Millau in southern France.
Designed by the French structural engineer Michel Virlogeux and British architect Lord Norman Foster, it is the tallest bridge in the world with one mast's summit at 343.0 metres (1,125 ft) above the base of the structure. It is the 17th highest bridge deck in the world being 270 metres (890 ft) between the road deck and the ground below.
20/04/2016 Rapeseed growing in a field.
21/04/2016 Brilliant! André Debru turns scrap metal into animals and other statues. A full blog on his work will follow in the not too distant future.
21/04/2016 A visit to Roquefort-sur-Soulzon. There are several places called Roquefort in France but this is the one where the cheese is made!
21/04/2016 The ancient abbey of Sylvanès was founded in 1136 by Pons de l’Héras, a repentant robber who, touched by divine grace, decided to end his life in service to God. It took more than a century for the monks to build the fabulous abbey.
22/04/2016 A street in the 13th century town of Sauveterre de Rouergue.
22/04/2016 Red-crested Pochard (Netta rufina) swimming in that part of the ancient moat surrounding Sauveterre de Rouergue which still survives.
22/04/2016 Brousse-le-Château, with the church on the extreme right see below...
The castle existed in the 9th century, was rebuilt in the 11th century and added to many centuries later.
Just to show that I did pick up the camera today, sparrows having fun in the water.