Friday, August 18, 2017

18/08/2017 Rain all day and more of Chateau de la Mercerie (See yesterday).

Maximum temperature 24C, minimum 16C.   14 km/h NE wind with 35 km/h gusts.  Rain not measured as yet.
So much for the plan to work in the garden today, this is the view from the lounge window!

Never mind, I did get to bottle all the surplus haricot beans that I have picked, many more to come though.

In the entrance of Chateau de la Mercerie are these beautiful tiled pictures, obviously too difficult to remove when much of the freestanding art work was sold, so we had the pleasure of seeing them intact...

There were a number in this style and many of them had the name of the artist Joseph Vernet on them.

This painting came from the ceiling of the entrance hall.  It had been  sold at auction, but on removal from the ceiling, it was found to be too big to go through the doors!!!  It will be restored and put back in place in the coming months.

I put on a photo of the bedroom yesterday but here is another one of the ceiling...

and a photo of what the room looked like originally

The card on the right is a photo of an artist who was in the employ of the brothers.  He repaired, or touched up paintings as necessary.  This painting was a little small for the frame, so it was put in place and then additional painted area added in to fill the frame!

Hard to believe but this is just a sketch on the ceiling.  The relief sculpture which was obviously planned never happened.  There are a couple more of these sketches in the chateau, but being positioned lower down they have faded due to the sunlight on them.

Beautiful wood panelling.

Another of the tiled paintings and the sketch beneath it is of the two brothers.

The office telephone.  My parents,many years ago used one of these wind-the-handle phones in Rhodesia!!

Yet another of the tiled pictures; you can guess I took a fancy to them.

Finally I loved this one because there was a horse in it!!

15 comments:

  1. Your beans look delicious, Reminds me that we need to go and buy beets to get them pickled. We just finished last year's so it's time,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beans are great it is a good recipe. Have a good week Diane

      Delete
  2. Your beans look wonderful, dear lady. You're so much smarter than I am. I should have watched our mother more closely. :)

    That place is so fabulous. I love the photos! Imagine the work, all the work.

    We had a phone that wasn't a wind up but on the wall, with a party line when we lived in Washington state as children. :)

    So enjoy your photography, Diane.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally watching my Mum here would not have helped. She was a great cook but never did preserving, canning or bottling. I am totally self taught and it is not difficult. h
      Hated the wind up phone of my folks it was on a party line and everyone listened in!!! Take care Diane

      Delete
  3. The old phone, brought back memories. I was born in 1937, and lived in a tiny upper NYS village. We were far from modern. :-)

    Early home phone was a crank telephone, which was wooden with the shelf and the black mouth and ear piece. It was a party line, of course. But I don't remember our home ring. When I was young, I was not on the phone, anyway. So it wouldn't have made that big a difference.

    It was placed, in a central spot. On the dividing architecture, between living room and dining room. And only a few steps, from the kitchen door.

    Over the years, the wall phone migrated to the kitchen. :-)

    Luna Crone
    "She from long ago..." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good day to do canning Diane. A very pretty view through your rainy window too. Thank you for sharing these magnificent tapestries and paintings. A lovely antique this phone. Did I ever mention I almost ended up in Rhodesia? When I was a little girl my father was offered a job with their police force. My dad was eager to go and tried to persuade my mother, but she could not bring herself to agree with his decision. So now it is just a memory of what might have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity Rhodesia was God'sown country in those days and I have very fond memories. Sad things have changed so much. You would have loved it, Diane

      Delete
  5. Diane, you found some great things to do in the rain! I love the art and your bottling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. So much to do and not enough time during the day!!!. Take care Diane

      Delete
  6. Now is midday at 32 deg C. Good for drying clothes and I am staying indoors away from the hot sun. Beautiful paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 32C is OK, when it gets to 42C I then definitely take cover! Have a good week Diane

      Delete
  7. I can't stop thinking about the desert in yesterday's post Diane 😀 I can see why you are attracted to the blue tile paintings they are incroyable! Rainy days here also but I'm more than happy about it.. I hate being sick while the sun shines outside, I feel I should be out there doing something ☺ Amazing details from your Château de la Mercerie trip, hope the sun shines for you tomorrow 🎆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get better quickly you have not been well for a while now!!! Take care Diane

      Delete
  8. The tile paintings are superb. Hopefully your garden will like the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden loves it but I can do without it during the day!! Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!