Sunday, April 22, 2018

J’ai bien mangé !!

Maximum temperature today 25C, minimum 14C.   Dry; 5 km/h North Westerly winds with up to 26 km/h gusts.
Some rain expected tomorrow and the temperatures start to drop a bit again.

J’ai bien mangé (I have eaten well).  We had the annual local village pensioners' lunch today, which is free to all locals over 60. Think this now my 10th year of enjoying the French hospitality; I missed a few when we first moved here before I got to know the locals!

The menu of the day.

We were lucky to have a warm day and we enjoyed the aperitifs and snacks outside on the new covered terrace enjoying the shaded sunlight...

As above...

There were plenty of seats also for those who had trouble standing.  The mayor is on the right looking towards the camera.

Back inside the hall.  The two people at the end of the front table looking at me are our neighbours.
This was taken while waiting for the potage, which I forgot to photograph, BUT soup is soup!

Wow, the entree was huge, but thankfully quite light; I was already starting to feel full!

I did take a photo of the grapefruit sorbet which was really yummy, but it was a bit blurred so you do not get to see that.  Sorry!

Then came the duck leg, and I must day cooked to perfection with mushroom sauce.  Served with sweet chestnuts and gratin girolles.

Of course, the French cannot do without their salad and cheese course.  Must find out what that cheese was in the centre; it had a delightfully nutty flavour.

The pièce de résistance.  Wow, what can I say about the dessert, other than so tasty!

Each lady was given a kalanchoe plant to take home.  Luckily I had yellow this year, as I have two red ones at home!



N.B. My new bird blog is HERE 
Part 4 of the birds I saw last year in Africa.


21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful meal for seniors provided by the community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie they certainly make sure we are all well looked after :-))) Have a good week. Diane

      Delete
  2. How lovely! The food and company looks good, and I have to say that's a lot of food! :)

    So glad you enjoyed, Diane!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masses of food and they came around with seconds as well if required, but who could eat more!!!! Happy week Sally, Diane

      Delete
  3. Oh my word, what a decadent little trencherwoman you are! There is enough food there for the whole week! I have a weakness for cheese and those cheese dishes always look so wonderful. Great bread with great cheese is one of the world’s greatest delights. If ever I make it back to France and we get to meet I will expect you to personally ensure that I am well supplied every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love cheese, but unless we have visitors we do not have it in the house. I eat it all too quickly and tip the scales!!! It would be a delight to have a fridge full of cheese if you visit but you would have competition :-) Have a great week Diane

      Delete
    2. We always have cheese in the house and eat it every day in fact. How decadent is that? Whenever we have company for dinner I use it as an excuse to buy more cheese, and more varieties too, than we need. And then, of course, we need a little wine to go with it........and that is how it goes!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I do remember you partaking in the pensioner's lunch before but I'd forgotten it was free. I cannot believe they do this for free. That's really awesome. Glad you were able to join in again this year. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all look forward to it every year and the catereing this year was exceptional. Sorry to hear the bad news in Toronto after a van ploughed through a crowd, too awful, hope you are safe Penny. Good luck for the following week, Diane

      Delete
  5. I know I would like it there. The food looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We look forward to it, a very special luncheon with lots to eat, wine and champagne :-) Have a good week Diane

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonder time and meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to be treated to a pensioners' lunch! Great food and good company! The duck leg dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, probably the best meal we have ever had. Have a wonderful week Diane

      Delete
  8. This looks delicious!
    I've just had the thought that I would be entitled to the free lunch. An unexpected benefit of passing 60... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A benefit worth having if the meal is as good as the one we get here, plus lots of wine and champagne :-))) Hope you had a great holiday, sounded like lots of fun despite it being chilly at times. Have a good week Diane xx

      Delete
  9. I gain weight every time you attend this luncheon. The servings look much larger than usual but still drooling delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you can afford to put on a bit of weight. Large servings and many of them!!! Try to have a good week Diane

      Delete
  10. Hi Diane. Delicious looking food. I don't think I would miss such a gathering. It looks so nice and warm and friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a good commune with mostly very nice people. It amazes me though that we were the only English there. Happy week Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!