Sunday, August 2, 2026

02/08/2026 Oh dear, now its August and June is still not blipped......

 The maximum temperature in the Charente today is 38⁰C; the minimum tonight is 22⁰C! 18km/h South/Easterly winds with 32km/h gusts.  Cooler apparently tomorrow and maybe rain!! I hope.

Common Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) Le Citron...

As above.

Miniature rose.

Spiked Star-of-Bethlehem (Ornithogalum pyrenaicum) L'Ornithogale des Pyrénées.

French  Flower Chafer (Trichius gallicus)  Trichie de France...


As above,

Garden rose that I have no idea what it is!

Beefly (Bombylius cruciatus) Le bombyle crucifié.


Brown-spotted Bush Cricket (Tessellana tessellata) la decticelle carroyée.

Unusual to see a swallow on the ground, but this one appears to be collecting nesting material.
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) L'Hirondelle rustique.

Wild poppies (Papaver rhoeas) Le Coquelicot.

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) La Belle-Dame ou Vanesse des chardons....

As above...

As above.

Female European greenfinch (Chloris chloris) Le Verdier d'Europe...

As above.

Another unnown Garden rose!

European paper wasp (Polistes dominula) Guêpes polistes. 

Caterpillar of the Patience Moth, or Blackish Ash Moth, (Acronicta rumicis) La Noctuelle de la Patience.

Hummingbird hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) Le Moro-sphinx, Sphinx colibri ou Sphinx du caille-lait.

Blue tits (Cyanistes caeruleus) La Mésange bleue and
a European Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) Le Chardonneret élégant. At the back is a male Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) Le Pinson des arbres.

Greenfinch see above (male).

Male Greenfinch.

Variable Crab Spider (Misumena vatia) la Thomise variable.

Still more of June to go yet!


30 comments:

  1. Dear Diane, your photos are absolutely stunning and captivating! And one of my favourite flowers is the poppy, and your picture of the poppies is eye-catching! Thank you so much for sharing the beauty around you! I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda. Your kind comment encourages me to try to catch up further. We had poppies all down the road sides for most of June. It was gorgeous. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  2. Amazing shots. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for looking in and commenting, much appreciated. Take care, Diane

      Delete
  3. Wow that is hot! The photos are fabulous as usual. I hope the flowers can cope with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane the weather has been ridiculous. Sadly the day the in-laws arrive here mid August from Ozz, it turns cold and lots of rain forecast. They wanted to go and walk around a typical village here stopping off for the odd beer along the way. They just might be stuck in our lounge with the fire lit!!! By then the garden will be completely dead. I am not sure how many roots might survive!! Thanks for the comment. take care, t'other Diane

      Delete
  4. Those macro shots are outstanding! I actually don't mind the hot weather, as long as it's not HUMID. I come from tropical weather little town, and the combination of high humidity and heat were killing me. p.s ginger paste is simply just ground paste of fresh ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both prefer the hot weather coming from Southern Africa, but this has been around 40C a lot of the time, no wind and humid!! Thanks for the explanation of ginger paste. Take care, Diane

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks very much for looking in and the comment, much appreciated. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  6. Your pictures are exquisite, as usual, Diane. It’s always fun to find crab spiders and this one had better find some cover to appear a little less visible! The shot of the Brown-spotted Bush Cricket shows every detail and what an attractive little insect it is. I hope that licking the garden back into shape has not caused too many sore limbs. Stay well, Bonne semaine et bisous - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha the crab spider seems to have forgotten to change colour, but perfect from the point of view of a photo. The bush cricket is one of my best ever photos, I have no idea how I managed it but!! Such a lovely little guy.
      The garden is not easy as it is now mostly weeds and they return faster than the real plants!! With the in-laws arriving from Ozz mid August I am trying to get it looking a bit better. Having said that the day they arrive here, if the forecast is right, it seems like the temperature drops drastically and 96% rain!!!! They may not even get to see the garden At present it is bone dry, cracked surface and only weeds!!
      You both keep well also. Bonne semaine. Je vous souhaite le meilleur. Bisous. Diane

      Delete
  7. Hello Diane,
    Wonderful pictures. Great that Flower Chafer. So special that small animal.
    And a funny shot of that Swalow with the blade of grass in his beak.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marco, I do like those little chafers, they remind me of small teddy bears LOL. Rare that I can get a photo of a swallow, they always sit on the electric cable outside the front door with bright sunshine behind them!! Have a good week and take care, Diane

      Delete
  8. I know! It is a disgrace the way time flies. But your photos are timeless.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why time never went so fast when we were at school :-)) It seems like we only moved from Africa to the UK a few years ago, in fact it is now 25 years, of which 23 are in France!!! Thanks for the visit and the comment. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  9. From now on I am going to refer to our garden Goldfinches as Chardonneret élégants. Wonderful descriptive name. Hummingbird Hawk Moths seem to be quite numerous this year, even in Lancashire. It must be the warm summer we've
    enjoyed. It looks to be changing next week. Everywhere is so dry and parched, most unlike our normal June and July. The best sine 1976, I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I could not agree more The French name is far ahead of the English name :-)) We always get masses of Hummingbird Hawkmoths, but this year because it was so hot and dry I think most visited you instead. Our garden now is virtually dead! Keep well ,Diane

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, comment as always is appreciated. I hope all is well over there. Diane

      Delete
  11. My goodness Diane, that is way too hot. I hope it gets cooler soon. Marvelous photos! Your macros especially intrigue me with those interesting insects. I have never heard or seen this French Flower Chafer before. Extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, it has been ridiculously hot, all records broken for June and July. I love that little chafer it is really very cute and it does not appear to do too much damage!! Keep well Diane

      Delete

  12. Beautiful garden Diane. I'm surprised it's looking so well with the intense heat you're having. Stay safe and stay cool. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny remember these photos were taken in June, the second month of heat waves! Now in August the garden is dead other that a few plants that I have managed to keep watered with water restrictions! This week now in August we have very hight temperatures yet again. I hope all is well with you. Diane

      Delete
  13. Adoro tus reportajes, todas las fotografías son preciosas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchísimas gracias Teresa, tus comentarios siempre son bienvenidos. Besos, Diane.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks very much for you visit and the comment. Cheers Diane

      Delete
  15. Wow Diane, your photos are always spectacular but these ones really are next level. I do hope you get more rain in the forecast soon. There is so much drought in so many places. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. The weather has cooled down a bit, but next week looks like it is going to be very hot again!! xx

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!