Monday, September 3, 2018

03/09/2018 Join me on a walk around the garden.

Maximum temperature today 27C, minimum 12C.  Dry; 13 km/h North-easterly winds with up to 35 km/h gusts. 

We seem to be constantly on the go and I am taking photos when I can.  This week there is something on every day, and nothing which is going to be photogenic, but I will see what I can find at home when I have the chance.  At the weekend we are taking a break for a week and I will be out of contact, no computer and no WiFi, but I hope to bring back some good photos if the weather holds.

Splish, splash, splosh Sparrows having fun. House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

Peek-a-boo, common wall lizard (Podarcis muralis).

Bumblebee heading straight for me...

and enjoying the lavender.

A not very cooperative red admiral butterfly, (Vanessa atalanta).

and another one that was camera shy, Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria).

Cosmos and what might be a small bee of some kind.

The first Sternbergia lutea, the winter daffodil, autumn daffodil, autumn crocus (it seems to have many names) - not a good sign so early in the year!!

Trying so hard to keep up with the figs.......

Green bell peppers.

Asiatic hornet (Vespa velutina), a nasty piece of work....

As above.

Nasturtiums.

Sweet potatoes are looking healthy with lots of watering; spring onions bottom right...

 winter broccoli on the left, carrots centre and haricot beans on the right, potatoes at the back.

I hopefully saved a little sparrow today that was being chased by something and it hit the window 3 times.  I went out and picked it up and brought it in to stay warm in my hands for a short while. We were going out soon after, so I gently put it in a tea towel to protect it, but so it was able to get out which I then put into a small container.  When we came home it had apparently flown the nest so I hope all is well.  I tried to take a photo with the phone, but realised holding a bird in one hand and trying to take a photo with the other did not work very well!!



My bird blog
has been updated HERE


20 comments:

  1. I hope the little sparrow survives. So often after window contact they have internal injuries that are not readily apparent but ultimately cause their demise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this little guy was the exception and that he is happily back feeding and bathing again. Have a great week Diane

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks very productive. And that fig...yum! Great photos Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the lack of rain I have managed to keep the important thing watered. Have a fab day, Diane

      Delete
  3. I had a lovely time touring your garden. Thank you for inviting me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the walk Emma 😊 Take care Diane

      Delete
  4. You really have some stunning photos this week Diane. I love the lizard poking it's head out of the hole and the bird in mid-air. I hope you and Nigel have a wonderful, unplugged week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That lizard was quite funny it kept looking out to check if I had gone. Looking forward to the unplugged week though I am alwayd happy to getback home again. Take care Diane

      Delete
  5. It's always a pleasure to take a walk through your garden with you Diane, it's the next best thing to being there 😊 Your little sparrow was lucky you were there to administer first aid ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you could be here for a walk it would be fun exploring France with you, especially Angouleme with all its wall paintings, widely known as the home of comic strips and images. Take care Diane

      Delete
  6. More amazing shots! Great job, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wall lizzard. Can you tell me more about this animal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aritha, easiest is to check out this link, they are a protected species here in France
      http://www.planetepassion.eu/LIZARDS-IN-FRANCE/Common-wall-lizard-France.html
      Enjoy Diane

      Delete
  8. That common wall lizard does indeed seem to be playing a game of peek-a-boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite amusing watching it as it was carefuly watching me 😉 Cheers Diane

      Delete
  9. Very good photos, Diane! I love the sparrows taking a bath, the bumblebee and the crocus, actually everything! Have a good week. And I'm looking forward to more great shots. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam the sparrows are such fun to watch. Looking forward to our weekaway. Hope all is well Diane

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your time away. The garden looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks Gaelyn. The weather forecast has changed and it looks like we may have far better weather no than we originally expected :-) Take care Diane

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!