Friday, September 29, 2017

29/09/2017 Some of the photos from yesterday. Rain forecast for tomorrow so you may see the others then!

Maximum temperature 27C,  minimum 15C.  8 km/h NW wind with 18 km/h gusts. Dry.

I have been in the kitchen most of the day once more so it means I can catch up on yesterday's trip....
Not often do we see sunrise :-)


The usual road obstructions along the way.


We had a 30 minute drive to meet up with friends at Rochechouart.  This is the chateau and Town Hall car park where we met...


Rochechouart chateau.  This is one of my older photos as at the moment the chateau is in a restoration program and there is lots of scaffolding...

The courtyard inside though is a photo I took yesterday


Driving on to Solignac in the Haute-Vienne, I almost missed this drive by view of the city of Limoges in the distance.


Arrival in Solignac, the first thing to take my eye is this abbey. Founded in the 7th century by saint Éloi, the Abbaye Saint-Pierre-Saint-Paul was destroyed and rebuilt several times.  It has masses of interesting history.


I could not resist this cat enjoying the sun in the car park in front of the abbey.  We had a 50 minute walk around the town and a quick sit down for a cup of coffee before moving on.


The main street is closed at the moment for major road works but you can walk along the pavements.  The hotel is on the left, and the front of the abbey in the centre...


Hotel Restaurant Le Saint Eloi.


The back of the abbey.


A few of the houses looking from up high on the road.


I loved this old barn.


For my American followers, I though you might be interested in this Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham driven by one of our friends.

A drive by shot, sorry about the windscreen tinting at the top of the photo, but I
liked the picture!
The church of Saint-Mathurin, in Le Vigen.


We were on our way to lunch and then a visit to the medieval ruins of Château de Châlucet. Watch this space for the remainder of the trip.


16 comments:

  1. I had such a good time on our little tour. Thank you for taking me along. I especially liked the church bells in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma, I also loved that drive by shot of the church with the bells. Have a great weekend, Diane

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful town, Diane! I thoroughly enjoyed this tour, including the sweet cat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Linda, it is a pretty little town. I loved the cat with its reflection in the car :-) Hope you get some good news very soon Diane

      Delete
  3. Great photos of a beautiful place, Diane. But my favourite is the gorgeous sunrise! Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Mia, seldom do we get to see sunrise. We used to be very early risers but somehow since retiring we have learnt to sleep much later, but we also go to bed much later as well! Have a good weekend, Diane

      Delete
  4. The villages are so historical. It must be fun exploring them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it and I only wish I had paid more attention to history at school!! Take care t'other Diane

      Delete
  5. You have so many wonderful options for your drives Diane, it's always enjoyable coming along with you and seeing the different styles of architecture. I bet the food is always wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky from the point of view that everywhere around us is full of history. When you think you have seen it all you then find somewhere else :-) Keep well Diane

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful old town. I have always been an early riser and since retiring I get up earlier still curiously. It is safe to say I see the sunrise virtually every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David all my working years I used to be at the racetrack at 4am to ride work on the race horses, I never thought that my built in alarm would move but it has. Possibly because now instead of going to bed at 8 pm I now only go to bed at 11 or 12pm !! No computer in those days to distract me!!!!!!! Take care Diane

      Delete
  7. So much beautiful and wonderful and intriguing History!

    Ahhhh yes, that car is a golden "oldie." Your friends have taste, and the money, to indulge it. :-)))

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luna and glad you liked the Cadillac. You are right so much history around us, it seems to go on for ever around every corner. Keep well and enjoy your Sunday, Diane

      Delete
  8. Hi Diane. Beautiful photos again. You are so lucky to have so many fascinating and pretty places to visit, the chateau looks like a castle from a fairytale. Keep well. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first photo looks like a postcard, how beautiful.😂

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!