Sunday, December 17, 2017

17/12/2017 Some of the local Wiltshire bird life.

Maximum temperature 8C,  Minimum -0C,  Still a bitterly cold wind, and wet.  It does look though as if it might warm up slightly in the next few days!!!
The mute swan (Cygnus olor).  The Queen has a prerogative over all swans in England and Wales.
The Royal swans are no longer marked, but an unmarked mute swan on the Thames is regarded as belonging to the Queen by default.

They pair for life.

 A youngster a bit too close to the road for my liking, but I guess being brought up here they know their boundaries.

The same bird as above.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) male....

 Female...

As above.

Gull, I never normally see gulls where we live; I know that they change from summer to winter plumage so I am not going to try and identify further.  I am sure to get it wrong!....
Thanks David "your gulls are Lesser Black-backed Gull and Black-headed Gull."

another Gull.


Loving having your comments but I will only get back to replying when we get home in January 😊

7 comments:

  1. Your gulls are Lesser Black-backed Gull and Black-headed Gull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bird photos, Diane. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me a bird is the free-est of all animals. To be able to catch a current of air and soar through the sky is the ultimate liberation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, Diane.

    It's a little warmer here today, and I'm so glad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely swans. Didn't know the Queen owns them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure some of those ducks are looking directly at the camera :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!