Monday, July 23, 2018

23/07/2018 Watching some falconry in the grounds of la Rochefoucauld Chateau.

Maximum temperature today 30C, minimum 15C.  Dry; 11 km/h North-easterly winds with up to 29 km/h gusts.

The castles humble beginning dates back to year 980, from a wooden camp that was built by Foucauld on a rocky spur. The word ‘rock’, in fact, translates to ‘Roche’ in French. A square keep was then constructed by his son at the same site in the 11th century.
To celebrate the end of the Hundred Years’ War in 1453 and to demonstrate his political power as the Lord of the region, Jean de La Rochefoucauld built three additional towers to the structure and raised the level of the main tower of the castle, thus, enabling him to oversee his domain at greater heights. The last major modification to the overall structure of the castle was done in 1760 with the construction of the West Wing.
The Rochefoucauld family have owned and lived in the chateau for over 1000 years.  It is possible to view the chateau all except the wing where the family still live.

You can see they have reverted to the old name here. La Roche à Foucauld -The rock at Foucauld.

There was a lot of events going on but my only interest was the falconry.  I have more photos than usual but I did not want to split up the post.
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) from North America- just look at those eyes!!...

as above...

as above...

and in flight.

The commentary was all in French so it was not easy to follow, but they said this was a barn owl.  It looked too small to me but it is certainly from the same family.  Also, I did not know which country the birds had come from; my books only cover South Africa and Europe!  Any help here please David and more below?

As above...

As above...

As above.

This bird I did recognise as it is a Giant eagle-owl (Bubo lacteus). Africa’s largest eagle-owl.  It was quite noisy calling often, but they did not fly it while we were there.

I believe this to be a Harris's Hawk (Parabuteo unicinctus) that came from America...

As above with the falconer.

Even I could not mistake this bird, the Kookaburra from Australia (Dacelo novaeguineae).  I must say it is the first time I have seen one flown in a falconry exhibition...

As above.

I think this might be a White-backed vulture (Gyps africanus). It is only two years old.

As above with the falconer...

As above - close up.

This might be a Hooded Vulture (Necrosyrtes monachus)...

As above with the falconer.  The birds were flying back and forth between the two falconers...

As above...

and finally a close up of the head of the above bird.



N.B. My bird blog is updated  HERE 


Part 17 of the birds seen in Africa.


23 comments:

  1. You have beautiful blue skies today! Great light for capturing the details in those birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy when the birds are pretty much tame! Cheers Diane

      Delete
  2. That was a fun day. Wish I could have been with you. All the birds were spectacular but the giant eagle-owl really caught my eye. it looks so sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day time snooze ! I wonder of they flew it in the afternoon show or let it continue to sleep. Take care Diane

      Delete
  3. Amazing castle, and dating so FAR back. I love seeing this, Diane, and your awesome bird photo's.

    You're a master at photography!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment. Stunning chateau inside and out. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  4. A good falconry show can be an amazing experience, and it gives the rare chance to see some fabulous birds at close quarters. It looks as if your experience was one of the best, Diane - and a Kookaburra, how special is that!! With my very best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed to see the Kookaburra! I have seen several shows and I was involved in Falconry in RSA, but that was a first for me. Keep well and enjoy the rest of the week Diane

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favourites of your posts Diane. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, glad that you enjoyed it. Take care Diane

      Delete
  6. Wow! Beautiful bird photos. That castle is pretty impressive too. Have a great week ahead Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a stunning chateau, I see it often, inside and out when we have visitors. You enjoy the rest of the week also. Diane

      Delete
  7. Oh I am ever so jealous. I love Bird shows. I recognized the Harris Hawk. But the barn owl is not a North American barn own, ours look different. However, it could be an owl I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harris Hawk was unknown to me but I managed to get that name form someone els who was there. Our barn Owls look much the same but this was a very small bird? Keep well Diane

      Delete
  8. Fabulous photos Diane, there's something so special about owls, they look so serious in a funny sort of way 😀 Was lovely to see the Kookaburra, can't get much more Aussie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to see the Kookaburra, a first for me at a falconry show. Something quite different. Take care Diane

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Pam an interesting show. Keep well Diane

      Delete
  10. WOW....beautiful shots. Loving them. HAHA....As reply to your comment on my blog about dust in the house...DUST, what is that? haha...I just don't dust. Kidding, it is not raelly bad. I just do a hit and miss dusting every couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I have a husband who is good at dusting or it may never get done here. Have a good weeke Diane

      Delete
  11. Beautiful castle! I never had a chance to watch a bird show. Would love to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must go to one if you ever get the chance, interesting to see the birds flying. Take care Diane

      Delete
  12. Awesome birds Diane, each and every one of them make me smile. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!