Thursday, May 9, 2019

09/05/2019 A drive into Angoulême on Tuesday.

Maximum temperature today 16C, minimum 10C.  Odd showers on and off; rain measured this morning 14mm.  38km/h North-westerly winds with gusts up to 87 km/h. 

N141 - Just love the number of trees around and all now so green.

At the bottom off the off-ramp still lots of trees.

A ghost sign in the older part of Angouleme that I cannot decipher....

and another ghost sign where there was originally a Pépinière (Plant nursery).

Lions International sign.

In St Cybard, Angoulême central is at the top of the hill behind this building.

Église Saint-Cybard, a Catholic church.

We went to our favourite restaurant of Chez Doud for lunch, only to discover it had been sold, and is now  O'Resto' d'Sam. Bit of a shock.  The food was OK but it had lost the ambience created by the previous owner!  😒 Not sure I want to return!!

Painted on a Tabac window, a little elf stealing some food while the guest is happily reading a book.

Angoulême covered market

At the back of the market.

Looking down the hill at the Railway station...

Over the roof tops...

as above...

and a closer look at the mural.

Leaving Angoulême this is next to the city wall, I have yet to discover what it actually is! Too elaborate for a lookout tower!

A drive-by shot across the fields of La Rochefoucauld Chateau.  More green trees.



See also my Bird blog 



13 comments:

  1. You do live in an enchanted corner of the world, Diane. I am sorry to hear that Chez Doud changed hands, It is always a disappointment when a favourite eatery is no longer there. And the new ownership often doesn't live up to their own expectations even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d love to see the inside of that church. The mural is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Diane. I absolutely love the green of the countryside. In the last few years I've been experiencing too many changes with long established favourite restaurants and shopping places going under. Many of them crushed by lack of business and too high taxes and rents. I can handle a few changes here and there but a lot of the changes just make me feel sad. I can't get over how whenever one goes under a new one takes its place. In fact at the Japanese restaurant I went to it was always struggling for customers though the food was good and the price was right. The new pub/restaurant which took it's place and has no atmosphere is just jam packed every day. It boggles the mind and it is definitely unappealing to me to be like a sardine along with all the other diners. Anyway, I digress, I was just trying to let you know I understand about new restaurants and them not being up to what you hoped. Perhaps you will find a new favourite place. In the meantime, it seems your temperatures haven't gotten much warmer. After months of our temperatures being cooler than yours, today the temperature is a too hot 30 degrees Celsius. I fear for the summer. Have a wonderful weekend. I know you and Nigel are always busy. I do hope you have both gotten over your colds/flus and that you can now look forward to the warm season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment was so long and I forgot to mention something. The beautiful murals on the stone walls reminds me of my trip a few years ago to Quebec City.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seldom shpw us the urban areas around you. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the green trees and plants contribute to the beauty of the surrounding. I like the photos showing the various parts of the town you visited. cute painting of the elf stealing food and the pretty wall mural. And the last photo of the chateau and surrounding looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this place and ypur photos,the atmosphere must be amazing there☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos, Diane! The church and tower are a work of art for sure. It does look like a lookout tower but pretty fancy if is! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hate when that happens Diane, sheen you find a place that you love to eat and the pffft! It's gone. Beautiful series of shots again. Angouleme looks wonderful, love the murals, the chateau, the architecture.. everything 💜 Hope you are both feeling much better, enjoy your weekend ✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shots of the roofscapes are so interesting and I love to be surrounded by greenery. Lovely drive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know my fav building that you showed is the La Rochefoucauld Chateau! Nice...and BIG. Yes, isn't it nice to see all the green. I love it but now it means that I have to find the get up and do to mow the yard, and it is not that big! I am feeling better right now. But I thought I was doing better weeks ago, seems to come and go. Thank you for your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely little town. I like the street murals.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and pass a comment. Every comment is appreciated and I try to reply to each and every one. All comments are verification free but will come to me for approval first :-)) PLEASE DO NOT ADD LINKS TO YOUR OWN WEB ADDRESS FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THEY WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING
No anonymous Users!